There’s a lot more to selling a home than just putting a “For Sale” sign in the front yard. Before you start, learn how you can make the process easier – and more profitable – with these suggestions from the selling experts at Active Adult Properties:
- Hire a professional. Real estate agents do more than just show potential buyers around your home; they streamline the entire selling process and take care of all the details. You won’t have to field phone calls, qualify buyers, arrange property inspections, order title reports or negotiate the selling contract when you have an experienced real estate agent working for you.
- Do your research. Read up on current market values and resale trends in your neighborhood and city. The real estate market is constantly changing, and that’s why it’s a good idea to have an expert on your side. An Active Adult Properties real estate agent will be happy to prepare a free personalized market report for you.
- Set the right price. List the price too high, and potential buyers could overlook your home while it languishes on the market for weeks or even months; under-price your home and you could be leaving money on the table. Assess your home’s condition and location, and ask your real estate agent for advice.
- Consider “curb appeal.” Stand on the street, and take an objective look at your home. Decide if you need to freshen up the paint, repair screens, wash windows, or clean gutters. Take a look at your landscaping too – a neatly mowed lawn and a blooming bed of flowers will make a great first impression. Your real estate agent will know the best local handymen who can get the job done right.
- Interiors are important. Now is the time to paint that lime green bathroom and take down that teddy bear wallpaper! Buyers prefer neutral colors on the walls and floors. Decide if you need to repaint, remove dated wallpaper or replace worn or stained carpet, A fresh, clean look adds appeal and can speed the selling process.
- Fix it fast. Everything in your home should be in working order. Go from room to room, and make a list of any repairs that need to be made. Look for things like leaky faucets, broken hinges or burned-out light fixtures. Your goal is to make your home as inviting as possible.
- Clear the clutter Maybe it’s time to have that garage sale you’ve been talking about. Buyers like to see a nicely furnished home, but too many pieces of furniture or too many knick knacks can make your home seem less spacious than it really is. Consider paring down your possessions; renting a temporary storage unit can help too.
- Get the word out Efficiently marketing your property is the best way to attract qualified buyers. Active Adult Properties real estate agents have comprehensive marketing plans that utilize everything from the Multiple Listing Service to the Internet to bring qualified buyers to your door.
- Keep it clean Banish those dust bunnies! Before you show your home for the first time, give it a thorough cleaning. If you’re not up for the task, consider hiring a cleaning service. Many companies specialize in getting homes floor-to-ceiling clean prior to sale.
- It’s show time! You’ve done the prep work, now it’s time to shine. Before potential buyers tour your home, walk through one more time. Turn on the lights, open the curtains, and set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature. A fresh vase of flowers adds a warm and inviting touch.
Discover how the process of selling your home can be both simple and rewarding. For more information about listing your home with Active Adult Properties, contact us.a Our team of professional agents is here to help.